Headquartered in Princeton, NJ, Eden is a community-services provider and not-for-profit organization, serving children and adults with autism for over 40 years. Founded in 1975, Eden began as a small, family-oriented school for individuals with autism and today offers classes from pre-K through age 21. In addition, Eden provides services for adults with autism including residential and employment programs, as well as providing support and training for families and professionals.
We have an exciting career opportunity for a Direct Support Professional who will provide teaching and behavior support programs for center participants in order to meet their individual therapeutic needs. The highly talented individual must demonstrate a passionate commitment to Eden’s mission and want to deliver in a high-value and mission-driven organization. Hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Follow weekly and daily activity schedule to meet the therapeutic needs of the participants
- Implement all teaching and behavior support programs
- Maintain data relating to each participant’s performance on individual teaching and behavior support programs
- Measure effectiveness of programs and mastery level
- Provide employment training to participants both on site and on community placements
- Complete semiannual reports as assigned by Center Supervisor or Assistant Center Supervisor
- Assist in the completion of daily paperwork regarding participant and center information
- Participate in the development of IHPs and behavior plans
Communication and Meetings
- Maintain responsive professional and proactive communication with parents and colleagues
- Participate in regularly scheduled individual meetings with center management, regularly scheduled center staff meetings, and scheduled staffing for participants as necessary.
- Notify Supervisor or Coordinator immediately of any situation which compromises the safe and effective operation of Adult Services
- Cooperate with Eden Autism Services and Department of Human Services staff in any inspection or investigation
- Drive vehicles to and from group homes and to community employment and training placements as needed or requested.
- Ensure cleanliness and organization of Eden vehicles, complete checklists as needed or requested and report any service needs immediately.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent required; Associate’s degree in related field or two years of college credits preferred.
Experience: Minimum one (1) year of experience working with developmentally disabled individuals, preferably with autism; valid driver’s license is required with record in good standing.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, squat, kneel, stretch, stoop, and/or reach above shoulder level for extended periods of time (up to 30 minutes).
- Vision requirements to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to pass and maintain Professional Crisis Management (PCM) certification at a P2 level on an annual basis, including implementation of all strategies and techniques.
- Ability to move or be moved freely and quickly to ensure the safety of students/participants at all times.
Specialized Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions and correspondence.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service on a consistent basis.
- Basic math skills including: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to effectively interact with individuals and groups, both internally and externally, in order to achieve desired results.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to implement physical techniques including personal control, crisis, and restrictive procedures as trained; may be required to provide physical assistance and/or prompting to an individual.
- Beginner to intermediate proficiency in MS Office including Word and Excel.
Eden offers a comprehensive salary and well-rounded benefits package including medical with prescription coverage, dental, vision plan, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement savings, paid time off, and more.
The qualified candidate must successfully complete a background check, including criminal check and fingerprinting, mandatory drug testing, motor vehicle check, reference checks, and completion of a medical/health physical and Mantoux test.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: must be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination card, or receive 1st vaccine shot within 30 days of hire date
Eden is an Equal Opportunity Employer