The Assistant Teacher of The Burke Foundation Early Childhood Center is responsible for the assistance to the general supervision and management of a classroom of children between the ages of 8 weeks and 6 years old. The Assistant Teacher will work under the direction of the Lead Teacher. Have the ability to be sensitive, mature, and have the ability to relate well to both children and adults. Must have the personality, patience, creativity and the ability to provide stability for program continuity and must be flexible to work between the hours of 7:15am-6:00pm. This part time position is between 20-24 hours per week.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for the safety, security and nurturing of the children assigned to the classroom at all times. This includes both inside and outside the classrooms, on walks, in the hallways, and on field trips when applicable.
· Assist with toileting, diapering, and feeding, cleaning and personal hygiene.
· Able to lift up to 50 pounds as well as bending, stooping and sitting on a child-sized chair on a daily basis.
· Visually supervise children and staff.
· Participate in daily cleaning routines in accordance with NJ Licensing requirements. In collaboration with the Director of Childcare, Operations and Facilities, ensure that facilities for the Young Wonders Early Childhood Development Center are safe, clean, attractive, and meet the state and local health and safety regulations for a childcare center.
· Maintain safe and sanitary use of all classroom equipment and supplies.
· Document attendance, incidence reports, medication waivers, and daily/weekly care sheets for each child in compliance with the YWCA Princeton and NJ State licensing regulations.
· Communicate verbally and in writing in a professional way with children, staff and parents.
· Assist in planning and implementing the Creative Curriculum.
· Assist in making daily child observations, collecting information, and drawing conclusions according to the GOLD assessment program.
· Treat all children at all times with dignity and respect, recognizing that each child has his/her unique qualities, gifts, and needs.
· Give personal attention to each child in the room each day.
· Interact with each child on their eye level and height level, using calm, natural and respectful tones of voice.
· Greet every child, parent, staff member and visitor with a smile and friendliness.
· Assist in conducting parent conferences.
· Maintain effective lines of communication with the children, parents, fellow staff, and Directors.
· Attend all staff meetings and required training sessions, as well as childcare family events.
· Responsible for working at least one 6 hour shift during Tiger Camp weekend.
· Volunteering when possible for YWCA Princeton sponsored events.
· Model values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
· Function as a cooperative, productive member of the YWCA Princeton staff team
· Mandatory continuation education credits for professional development & requirements for Office of licensing and Grow NJ Kids (July 1- June 30)
· High School Diploma / GED
· Child Development Associate (CDA) or Community College (A.A.). preferred
· Minimum 1 year of experience working with children in an early childhood program.
· Hold or get (within 90 days of employment) an ARC, First Aid, CPR/AED certifications for child, infant, and adult
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required
· Ability to prioritize, be self-directed and work independently
· Ability to work flexibility with a collaborative team of staff members and volunteers
Must be willing to work with all persons without regard to race, religion, ethnic origin, socioeconomic status or disability and sexual orientation
Must be proficient in Microsoft Words, and Excel
· Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate computer keyboard and other office equipment.
· Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
· Seeing to read, prepare and review a variety of materials.
· Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
· Sitting for extended periods.
Job Type: Part-time
4 hour shift
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
All staff, children, parents and vendors are required to wear masks.
Work Location: One location